Friday, April 8, 2011

Vintage Pillowcase Quilt--------Finished!!




Yea!  I have finished the vintage pillow case quilt.  It measures 48x72 and the following is how I put it together:
  1. Cut 24    8 1/2 x 8 1/2 squares from vintage pillowcases
  2. Cut 48    2 1/2 x 8 1/2 border strips from white cotton material
  3. Cut 48    2 1/2 x 12 1/2 border strips also from white material
  4. batting-- I used extra loft
  5. 1 twin vintage flat sheet for backing
  6. 252 inches for binding -- a little extra to be safe
  7. 2 1/2 yards of 100% cotton material for border strips
This quilt is what I consider Shabby due to using reused vintage material except for the white cotton borders that I chose to use. You could do  a variety of patchwork squares all in vintage pillowcases or I know you girls have your  own clever ideas.  Using a vintage sheet for the backing just is a great finishing touch.

Each vintage pillow case gives you two fat quarters.  One fat quarter gives you 4 8 1/2 squares for the quilt I did.  I have put together bundles of 7 fat quarters, all vintage from pillowcases for $18.00 from my stash
all ready for you, they are clean and ready.  For this quilt I did you will  need 6 fat quarters, I did cut some of the fat quarters larger than the 18x22 which is the true fat quarter size, none are smaller than 18x22 inches.

I used scrap from the top of the pillowcases for my binding, attaching for the length I needed, it gave it a very colorful binding and useful way to use the top border of each pillowcase.  I had strip pieced binding before from various 100% cottons in my quilting  and love the look.  So this was a must for me!

Here are 4 fat quarter bundles (7 fat quarters all vintage in each)     $18.00 each
Also I have one bundle of 30 cut and ready 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 squares             $20.00









30 8 1/2 squares
all vintage

linking to:
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/ Best of 2011
http://sistersofthewildwest.blogspot.com/



http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com

3 comments:

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This looks like a million bucks!!!!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

What a clever idea and it turned out beautifully! I did not see a place to follow, so I added you to my favorites.

William Prince said...

Nice Website. You should think more about RSS Feeds as a traffic source. They bring me a nice bit of traffic
pillowcases